4.1.2008

Sleeping problems are over! No sign of freezing under my warm blanket. Slept actually too long as it was so pleasant. I went to eat lunch at my school and continued to Tsim Sha Tsui from there with a bus. My new Octopus card works great, btw;) Took a newspaper with me and went to harbour to read it. After that I went to this big shopping centre for some window shopping. I should get myself some kind of shorts and sandals, but it isn't shorts season yet. Shops are now trying to get rid of their winter clothes so there are sales everywhere. Maybe in few weeks I will find what I'm looking for.

My friends were on some island so I was waiting for them. Once they got back we met in a internet cafe. Next to the internet cafe was a big arcade hall. I went to there to check it out and it was quite nice. We used to have one arcade place in my home city where I used to go as a kid, but it moved away several years ago. What is the difference between Finnish and Chinese arcade hall? At least from my point of view, chinese arcade hall's size is bigger and noise levels are much higher. I didn't play anything but I promise that I'll spend one evening at some arcade some day:)

My friends wanted to stay in the internet cafe for one hour but I didn't have need for it as I had a good internet connection at the halls. So I decided to make a little walking trip along the Nathan Road. When I came from the airport along that road I saw an Apple store somewhere along it. I wanted to find it as I seemed to have some problems with my Ipod. This morning it just stopped playing music. I started to walk along the Nathan Road, but couldn't find the store. After 45 minutes of walking I had to go to a subway station and return to near Star Ferry pier where my friends were.

Some of the guys were hungry so we decided to go to McDonald's for the first time. At last we could see the Big Mac index of Hong Kong. Big Mac meal in here costs 24 dollars, that's a little bit over 2 euros. Compare that to Finland's price which is over 6 euros. Quite cheap! I'm starting to think that when I get back I will definitely have some extra weight on my waist. Not that I mind though, I can always get rid of it afterwards. And I don't think that's the biggest health problem I'm facing in here. The pollution is by far the worst problem. Don't get me wrong, I've seen much worse places in Malaysia for instance, so the situation is not so bad in Hong Kong. But when compared to Finnish pollution levels, the levels are quite high. So the smog will have a bigger health related effect on me than the cheap food.

After eating we thought about going to some bars as it was my friends' last night in Hong Kong. We headed to Wan Chai, a popular party area for tourists. There were a lot of bars and girlie bars too, unfortunately. They kept trying to get us in so that they can take our money by having us buy drinks for ladies. We found some good regular bars and at some point we returned to Tsim Sha Tsui. There was this bar called Aqua Spirit that we wanted to visit. What was so special about it was that it is on the 30th floor of some big building. So you can imagine that the view was quite something:) Drink prices were also quite something;) About 10 euros for Mojito, but for that view the price seemed very reasonable. After Aqua Spirit we decided to return to our beds. Arttu and OP decided to come visit my university which was on my way to student halls. The guard there didn't seem to mind people passing the campus. I'll try to take photos of my campus at some point for you to see. But until now, I've been the video camera guy as OP has got a much better photo camera. So that explains why I haven't posted pictures.

No comments: