20.1.2008

Once I managed to get myself out of the bed after last nights party, I noticed that it was way too good day to waste. So I checked the website of HK's national football league, made a few phone calls and we (me, 2 Martins, Daniel & Jenni) were off to a local football match.

The stadium was in Mong Kok, right next to the flower and bird market. When we arrived at the gates the security guys and ticket sellers were amazed. I think they didn't expect foreigners to be interested in local football games. The tickets were about 20 dollars for students, not bad. The stadium was quite small as you can see from the video. Football is not so popular in here so there was no need for bigger stadium.

The teams playing were Lanwa Redbull and Eastern. They were ok. What was weird was the way they handled injuries. I mean once a player injured, four guys in uniforms ran into the field and took that guy on the side of the field. And there were quite a lot of injuries, it seemed like some Italian team was playing. My Lonely Planet guidebook said that local football games are lively, but the small crowd wasn't so enthusiast. But it was a nice experience though. Check the video for the highlights of the game:



After the game we went to search for a place to eat. We ended up on Tung Choi street which is also known as the Goldfish Market. That was quite something! Street full of shops selling fish, aquariums and all things related to those. Our fish expert Jenni told that they had also many illegal coral and fishes for sale. Those are beautiful but it's kind of sad to see endangered species put on there just for our pleasure. I'm beginning to sound like some hippie...

No comments: